Monday, June 20, 2016

Rose and me

Rose and me have been childhood friends since a long time. I remember father telling me, how John (Rose's elder brother), came from Nagpur to Harihar sleeping on the same berth of the train as him. My father and her dad have been fast friends since Nagpur days. They continued their friendship in Harihar as well. My mother became fast friends with her mother, Omana aunty. Consequently, the kids became fast friends as well!

Omana aunty is famous for her chicken biriyani. My mouth waters at the thought of her chicken biriyani. Yummy yummy yummy! Nothing else can describe her biriyani better! I remember a time when we went to Jog falls, and her yummy mommy's chicken biriyani that we had! (Slurp! My mouth waters at the thought of it.) We also celebrated Christmas with them. I still remember my mother asking my brother to refrain from having wine (he was really small at that time). But he would stealthily ask Omana aunty, or John chettan, and get him one glass (or, maybe more).

Rose and me, used to be in our own world. We used to stitch clothes for our barbies. I still remember the barbie doll that my father got me from Ernakulam. We used to believe, they were our kids, and we needed to take care of them, like our mother and father. We would build tents in the lobby of our terrace (where no one used to come), and, fry things inside. Gosh! I can't imagine how we fried corn in a cloth tent. We would have been doomed if the cloth caught fire! When Boothi sir (our PT teacher), was running a weight check, we both got upset, and cried - since we were chubby, hale and hearty kids.

She was one year older than me, and more talented. Infact, she was gorgeously talented. She used to stitch clothes for barbies, used to put mehendi, was really good at drawing, reading, and later on, she used to instruct a tailor to make specific designs, and now she's into baking - Grace Cakery is the name of her venture. I am really happy for her :-).

Though we are in different countries, I am sure, she'll not forget her childhood friend. And, though we talk twice or thrice only, but we communicate through Facebook. When we talk, we talk as if there's no barrier between us! That's called friendship.



3 comments:

Rose said...

Oh dear Vandu! You have no clue what an important part of my childhood you have been. Most of my fondest childhood memories have you in them. I remember Diwali parties at your place. And sleep overs. How we used to exchange clothes to confuse people during hide and seek. How you used to admonish me when I read too much Nancy Drew and didn't study, you would remind me of my slipping grades. You were younger and yet so much smarter. I totally remember the bedsheet tents. And the bats!! How people always said we looked like sisters. That's exactly how I felt about you and still do. No matter how long it has been since we have spoken, it feels like we never stopped talking. You, your memories and your love, are timeless. Ummmaah!

Vandana Shenoy said...

Awwwww... that's such a cute thing! I don't remember admonishing you at all! But yeah, I really wish we could relive the Harihar days.

Vandana Shenoy said...

Awwwww... that's such a cute thing! I don't remember admonishing you at all! But yeah, I really wish we could relive the Harihar days.